Skip to Content

November News - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

(Everything I Do) I Do It For You

Let me start with a disclaimer – this is not just another post from a proud mother gushing over a page about how her children are the epicenter of life (although I can sure appreciate what Bryan Adams was singing about all those years ago)! Rather, like most parents, about 98% of my time, money and energy at the moment seem to be spent on keeping small humans and the family pet happy, occupied, and alive!  This leaves a marginal 2% to focus on myself and MY wants and MY needs. To be honest, this is usually spent doing chores and catching up on admin and this makes me angry. Angry at myself for not stopping to enjoy a hot cup of coffee or even having a lunch break. I can’t help it, it’s just who I am.

So you know what I did? I signed up to a marathon. Yup, 26.2 miles of ‘me’ time. Bliss! Yes, okay there is the minor detail of having to run the whole distance, all the training, or even making it across the finish line in one piece, but my main reason to signing up is to set myself a personal goal. I NEEDED a goal in my life. I wanted a change, and I can already get a sense of the pride I’m going to feel when I cross that finish line. I can’t remember the last time when I was actually proud of myself.

In 2017 there has been a lot of media attention on mental health. I by no means a health professional, and I can’t even begin to understand the severity of mental health problems that some people face. What I can relate to is stress, anxiety, tiredness and feeling a bit sad at times. Being a working mum is hard. Being a wife is hard. Being an (insert any part of life here) is hard. Running in the cold and dark is not some people’s idea of fun or relaxation, but I am enjoying the time to myself, knowing that the people that matter are supporting me every step of the way.

With the holiday season right around the corner, and all the stresses that go with it, please take time for yourself. Take a minute (or an hour) to reflect on personal goals for 2018. I am not suggesting you sign up to a marathon, but take time to reflect on what will make you feel proud of yourself. Is it a new hobby? Learning a new language or even changing your job? The phrase ‘look after #1’ may not be on point with everyone, heck my personal wellbeing is more like #5 on the list, but with 2018 looming, I can honestly say that I am trying to make the most of my precious 2%.

Blog Post
3 minutes
by Claire Newman
Drop us a line
If you have any questions, just ask
Share this
More from the blog